Thursday 9 April 2015

Tonka Bean Stout Tasting Notes



I bottled this beer just over two weeks ago. While I had done one other tonka bean beer, this one was without any other spice additions. It seems like each bottle gets better, and I'll have to check the flavor after a few more weeks of aging.


Appearance: Nearly opaque black, but very minor ruby highlights if held up to the light. Light tan coloured head that falls thin but persists through the pint.

Aroma: Tonka bean aromas are present, I swear the smell reminds me of cinnamon rolls. The tonka bean smell isn't too strong, and is backed by typical stout odor: roastiness, dark chocolate with cinnamon.

Flavor: Tonka bean is present, but not nearly overpowering. Cinnamon, vanilla and caramel flavors are noticeable from the tonka bean, but fades into a good roastiness from the base stout.

Mouthfeel: It's a thick one, the oats have given it the great silky mouthfeel that gives some richness to the stout. Moderately carbonated, and no astringency.

Overall: Excellent. I was probably pretty liberal with my application of tonka beans to this beer, but the stout has strong enough flavors to back it all up. The mouthfeel is great as well. I'm really excited about this beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...